50 Shades of Garbage...

If it doesn't feel comfortable any place else, try slipping it in here.

50 Shades of Garbage...

Postby Wendy Watkins SC2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Just curious if anybody has read this series. I was going to just out of curiosity, but after hearing about it from friends in the real BDSM community who have read it, i just don't think I could do it :?

Besides the fact that the content is terrible and it's based off of a Twilight slash-fic, apparently it's really poorly written.

I'd love to hear the 2 cents of any witty critics out there... I know we have a few :D
Wendy Watkins SC2
SC Fan

Re: 50 Shades of Garbage...

Postby Xandusk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 am

I haven't read it but no one I know has said it's poorly written. Most say it's a fun read. The BDSM community here says it's like a Nilla version of a D/s relationship.
I'm looking forward to giving it a try once it hits the sales bins :)
Xandusk
Charm

Postby RosiePieCharm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Korumi Doll LOVED it and forced me to borrow it (in the nicest way. ;) ). Like the Twilight books I couldn't get past the first few pages. It is very poorly written. I'm read a couple reviews from famous BDSM community members and they were all very displeased with the books. Except the people who were selling BDSM things (rope, cuffs, etc) who are very happy because the "general public" is now spending money on things they never would have brought into the bedroom before. This personally freaks me out because people who don't know what they are doing could really hurt themselves and/or others physically and emotionally.
RosiePieCharm
SC Fan

Postby Wendy Watkins SC2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:53 pm

I haven't read it, but from the reviews and quotes I've read, I've gathered this:

Not only is 50 Shades offensive, it's fucking dangerous! There are so many young women who are reading it thinking that it's ok to stay in an abusive relationship because the guy will change...

REALLY?! And that is being glamorized by this series! I've seen multiple posts on Facebook and Fetlife of girls saying they can't wait to find a guy like Mr. Grey. Great... In five years every female my age is going to be in an abusive relationship.

I think the author needs to apologize to the BDSM community, and make a statement about how remaining in abusive relationships is never ok! And that people with severe psychological problems like that of Christian and Ana need therapy... People like that are not stable to start a relationship as intense as one of D/s.

Not only all of that crap, but BDSM is about trust, safety and communication. None of this is present in the characters' relationship. The chick is a virgin and he is taking things way too hard on her, and she is letting him because she wants him to fall in love with her and change him. First of all, he as a Dom should see that he is hurting her and she is not in the proper frame of mind in many of their scenes. Second, she as a sub needs to trust her Dom enough to say something!

That is why this book has nothing to do with BDSM. And that is why this book provoking people to get involved in BDSM is scary. They're starting out with this fucked idea already.

Sounds like RosiePie and I are in complete agreement...
Wendy Watkins SC2
SC Fan

Postby RosiePieCharm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:46 pm

True. Though not shocking. Isn't that basically Twilight anyway? I mean, those books are based off of abusive relationships as well so it should be no surprise these are as well. Not that that makes it okay.

Agree, the author should apologize and publicly state that the books are based on an unhealthy relationship that in no way should be practiced or glamorized.
RosiePieCharm
SC Fan

Postby roxysyn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 am

I am glad I am not the only one that does not like it or her books. I just dont like the way she writes. lol I could not get through it :(
Last edited by roxysyn on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roxysyn
Charm

Postby SultrySerenaSC2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:29 am

I have the series, haven't read it yet......my daughter told me they were really poorly written and the series is awful. She couldnt' understand what all the hype was about.........
Been thinking one of these days I'll see for myself and read them......
SultrySerenaSC2
Charm

Postby AlysaSC3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am

From what I've heard it seems like people who read a lot think it is poorly written and people who don't read a lot (like the last book they read was in high school because they had to) loved it. I read a ton of books so I'm a little apprehensive to read it.
AlysaSC3
Charm

Postby gman36 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I read the first two paragraphs and almost vomited at how awful it is.
gman36
SC Fan

Postby hook » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:40 pm

gman36 wrote:I read the first two paragraphs and almost vomited at how awful it is.

I'm with you, your book was way better
hook
SC Fan

Postby Jorja SC3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:48 pm

I've never read the books, so I can't really judge how they're written. But when my mom wanted the series, my husband bought her the audio books and loaded them onto an MP3 player for her. The MP3 player spents months gathering dust until I suggested she listen to them when she's doing the dishes or folding laundry. (That's my trick to listening to audio books.)

A few weeks later, I called her when I hadn't heard from her in a couple of days. She was all excited about the progress she made on the audio books... Mom had started doing dishes, remembered the MP3 player, and started listening to the first Fifty Shades of Grey book. Apparently, she was totally into the audio books, because after the dishes, she also cleaned out the dog cage, pulled all the bedding, laundered the bedding and put it back on, dusted the entire house and scrubbed down the bathroom - all while listening to the MP3 player. LOL (I need to find audio books that engage me like that!) So she's a fan. And has a spotless house. Mom now wants a bunch of other audio books... but I'm afraid my husband would load "The Story of O", or any of the Sleeping Beauty series on her MP3 player because he's a twisted fuck like me. Contrary to popular belief, I usually *try* to shield my mother from the darker side of things.

Speaking of the audio books... one of my gaming buddies sent me a link the video of Gilbert Gottfried doing the Fifty Shades of Grey audio book... HILARIOUS. http://youtu.be/5K1RcKJVbHA I DEFY you to not crack up. :P
Never underestimate the lubrication potential of tears.

Jorja- Something ain't right with that girl.

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Jorja SC3
SC Fan

Postby LibbyEllisukSC4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 am

For me yes it was total gargage - I suppose I can't really judge because I didn't get ast the first chapter. Thank goodness it was loaned to me - I would have been as sick as a pig if I had wasted good money on it LOL
Libby
LibbyEllisukSC4
Charm

Return to Off Topic