Remember When ...

If it doesn't feel comfortable any place else, try slipping it in here.

Re: Remember When ...

Postby loke693 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:53 pm

This may have been mentioned before, but since you took it to school, what about the lunch boxes, with the cartoon characters!!! And the thermos for your drinks!!!

Loke
loke693
SC Fan

Postby ohalexSC22 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Oh yes those special lunch boxes!

Remember when the most exciting thing about the holidays was waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve?! Trying to stay awake to hear him....
Too much of a good thing can be WONderful...

ohalexSC22
Charm

Postby RopePhotog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 am

I remember those nights very well, and I also remember never being able to stay awake!

How about this one? Remember when you never seen a Christmas decoration in the stores until the day after Thanksgiving? I can remember when the Holiday Season didn't start until Santa arrived at Macy's at the end of the parade.
RopePhotog
SC Fan

Postby ohalexSC22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Me too! Always fell asleep! And you're right Hun, there was a time when the stores didn't stock Christmas stuff before Halloween like they did this year... and nothing was open on Thanksgiving!

Who remembers taking hours to make and decorate Christmas cookies to leave for Santa and making sure there were some carrots for his reindeer...

ohalexSC22
Charm

Postby RopePhotog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Something else I remember fondly, Leaving out the carrots for Rudolph and friends. As for the cookies, I still bake and decorate them with my mom, not for The Claus though!

Do you remember the after Christmas "white sales" that popped up every January?
RopePhotog
SC Fan

Postby Staples » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 am

I've never heard of leaving carrots for reindeer before! What a cute idea.
Join today! http://www.southern-charms3.com/staples/main.htm Five updates a week!
Staples
Charm

Postby ohalexSC22 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Gotta keep those reindeer energized for their long trek on Christmas eve!

Sometimes there was "proof" the reindeer had been there, as most of the carrots were gone with a bite of one left, and then there was glitter on the floor!

Still get a kick out of seeing a semi on the Interstate with Christmas lights around the cab!

ohalexSC22
Charm

Postby noface » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Been awhile so...
remember when, I posted here all the time? {:-D

Hope to get back into the swing!
noface
SC Fan

Postby loke693 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Remember when, a bunch of people use to post here and we would chat and even do like video shows on here...

Remember when...

Loke
loke693
SC Fan

Postby VixenSC2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Oh Alex SC2 wrote:Remember when Pepsi and Coca Cola came in glass bottles? AND you could turn the empties in for a bottle deposit?!

Yep, I am that old too xx :P
VixenSC2
Charm

Postby DDDVIOAUS » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:03 am

I remember all the old things, being near 60 will do that. Phone booths, and mail boxes on near every street corner. Every restaurant and diner coffee till you burst for 25cents. The bars where the only food in the place was the pickled eggs and sausages behind the bar. Everything was Coca-Cola where I grew up. Remember the glass bottles, the thick green tinted glass. Did you know if you looked at the bottle of the bottle, you could see where that bottle came from? It was either etched in the glass or super imposed. I remember working with some old guys, and at lunch and break we would hit the Coke machine, and whose ever bottle was furthest away, paid for the next round, and it was only 25 cents.

Remember the old lunch boxes, had G.I. Joe, and an older one I got from a cousin Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans. Remember it was dresses for girls, and flair pants for boys. Bell bottoms, in all odd sorts of colors and styles. Mom was an old hippie/country chick, and loved to dress me in stripped pants and paisley shirts, or vice versa. Girls wore dresses or skirts that never went past the knee and often stopped at mid way between the waist and knee. Rotary phones, party lines. The old box record players, played albums and 45's. Was first on my block at age 13 to have one and I became quite popular with the girls in the neighborhood. Down side, I got forced to listen to a lot of Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy type music. We also had my grandmothers old Victrola, which played those really thick, I think they were 78's.

Christmas was always a real tree, put up somewhere between weekend after Thanksgiving and Dec 5th. Was hard back then to find any Christmas music on the radio before like the 1oth. We put on Christmas plays at school, parents would come during the day. All the local fire companies held parties for the kids. Every kid, got a small toy, a stocking, an orange and some candy. We would hit every fire company every year. The local theatre shut down after Thanksgiving weekend was over, and came back with Christmas themed movies and cartoons, free for the kids, with free eats. They asked for a donation from the parents, which was always given to the needy fund. 12-5 every Saturday in December was great for parents who wanted to shop without nosey kids around. Oh and the amount of Christmas cards that came and went. After Christmas my sister and I would be allowed to cut out the cards and make a huge collage, which Mom always kept. Lastly, the radio station who would from 5pm till midnight every year, have detailed sightings and the comings and goings of ole Santa every 15 minutes, and sometime burst into the music with SPECIAL Santa bulletins,,,
DDDVIOAUS
SC Fan

Previous

Return to Off Topic